It is intended that mathematics education within St. Joseph of Cluny should:
- Contribute to the personal development of the student. This aim is chiefly concerned with the students’ feeling of worth as a result of finding meaning and interest, as well as achieving success in mathematics.
- Help to provide the students with the mathematical knowledge, skills and understanding needed for continuing their education, and eventually for life and work. This aim focuses on what the students will be able to do with their mathematics in the future: hence, on their ability to recognise the power of mathematics and to apply it appropriately.
- Students should be able to recall basic facts as it can support and enhance the understanding and aid the application of the subject.
- Students should be able to perform basic skills and carry out routine algorithms, and be able to use appropriate equipment.
- Students should be able to apply their mathematical knowledge and recognise its uses, seeing it as a powerful tool with many areas of applicability.
- Students should have an overall understanding of mathematical concepts
- Students should be able to analyse information
Junior mathematics caters for a full range of student’s abilities, aptitudes and achievements. In-coming students to 1st Year in St. Joseph of Cluny usually attend mixed ability classes. Theses are considered the most appropriate for our students and the most educationally advantageous.
Higher and Ordinary Level classes will be set at the beginning of 2nd Year. Students will be put in classes based on the 1st Year results. The Christmas and summer results are usually a clear indication of the student’s mathematical ability and capacity to amalgamate all the pre learned topics. Students are facilitated and are actively encouraged to enter mathematics competitions. To date students of St. Joseph of Cluny have participated in the Junior Olympiad Competition The use of I.T. features in the teaching of mathematics. Slideshow presentations and interactive computer simulations are all used to enhance the learning experience of the student.